Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Time for Thanks

We love the holiday season! It's always filled with good food, good friends, and great family company! Each year, Alex and I rotate spending Thanksgiving with one family and Christmas with the other. This year, we were able to spend Thanksgiving with both! Before taking off to visit my family out-of-state, we held a Thanksgiving dinner at our house for Alex's family. I feel extremely proud to say that I took care of the star of the show-the turkey-and I mean from start to finish! My mom was on speakerphone while Lucas looked on from his high chair as I cleaned, both inside and out, the turkey & prepped it for the main course. My mom grew up on a farm & is one tough lady, so she had quite the laughs listening to me (via the phone) prepare the turkey. I can honestly say though that there is nothing more fulfilling then accomplishing something you have never done before or thought you could handle. My mom has always empowered myself, along with my sisters, to embrace the "scary stuff" and confront it head on. She has always taught us that if we want things to get done, she's there always to help, but we've got to do it ourselves in order to recieve the real reward- the feeling of accomplishment. We also made mashed potatoes, candied yams, stuffing, and were blessed with the other great dishes brought by Alex's family. After the meal, we played games & enjoyed some amazing desserts.

The next morning, Lauren met us at our house & we took off on our road trip home. We played "Would You Rather" in the car to pass the time & it turned in to some pretty hilarious conversations! We were greeted by my Mom and older sister Nicole who were anxiously awaiting our safe arrival. My Mom couldn't wait to get her hands on Lucas! He was a little overwhelmed at first by all the hugs & kisses, but he and my mom quickly became inseparable (as always)! During our time home, we enjoyed another wonderful Thanksgiving meal, tried out some new dishes by my Mom such as bacon-wrapped lil' smokies (sooooo good), and enjoyed some Black Friday shopping. It was also my nephews' birthdays, so we were so grateful to be able to share in their Toy Story party, along with seeing Jalen & his family for his birthday. We love you guys! It was such a wonderful trip and as always, goes by wayyy too fast!


(Mom and the boys)


(Alex and I on Thanksgiving morning)

(Just one of the many naps for father & son. Don't you love how Lucas sleeps with his mouth wide open sometimes!)

(Lucas with his cousin Nathan-and his crazy mohawk-!)



(Some funny faces from Lucas!)

Alex and I are greatly anticipating Lucas's first Christmas AND birthday in the upcoming weeks. Judging by his "paper-shredding" abilities in the video below, I don't think he'll have any trouble with his presents :)


2 comments:

  1. You can just set him on top of the presents, and he'll shred through them in no time, with those fast feet of his! It was so good seeing you! I wish we could have come to Nathan/Ethan's party so we could have spent some more time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with what my mom said! It was so much fun to be with you guys again. I kept trying to convincce my mom to just let her an I go but she wouldn't let us!:) Oh well! Hope you guys can come down soon or maybe if we do make it up doing April or something maybe we can stop bye! :) Miss you tons! Kiss Lucas for me! I looked at the picture that we took as cousins and his face is priceless. I dont know if my mom sent it to you yet! Anyways, I had a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete